Thursday 1 January 2009

More Tokbox

I've had a bit more of a chance to play with this now and there are some pretty interesting features. One of the most useful looking ones in terms of helping my project research is the conference function whereby you send your participants a link to a web based video conference. This is exactly the sort of thing the uni is wanting to do, so I think further testing of Tokbox and the capabilities of its API definitely needs to be done.

I need to get a couple of people to help me with the testing of the multi-user functions and start looking at how it all works.

On sidenote, the Tokbox site has a public posts section. I'm still poking around here looking at different things, but straight away when you start looking at peoples posts and comments you pick up an undercurrent of unpleasantness. It has the potential to be an excellent platform for communication and public debate, but at the moment my impressions are that there is a lot of unneccessary arguing and sniping. Very unfortunate. On the flip side, the dreadful public post I foolishly had up there for 5 minutes (before getting rid of it until I can get myself looking presentable enough for another attempt!) gathered an encouraging comment within minutes of going up, so maybe I'm wrong and have caught the site on a bad day?

Social aspects aside (this was just a side note as it isn't relevant to the project), Tokboxs video mail and conferencing features look very promising.


, , , ,



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: